Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Summative Assessment

          Over the course of this semester, I acquired an incredible amount of knowledge.  I learned more than skills and ideas for assignments, though.  I discovered that literacy is much more than one’s ability to comprehend and/or produce written language.  It entails a person’s progression from novice to master in any given field.  “Oh, you play softball well?  Then you are literate in that field.”  “You learned how to crochet and now have a wardrobe full of sweaters?  You are obviously literate in the field of yarn creations.”  The point is, if a person is a master of a task, they are literate.  It is my job as a teacher to try to incorporate those multitudes of literacies into my classroom.  Do not get me wrong: reading and writing are necessary for academic success, but they are not the only factors teachers need to consider when giving instruction.  I also know that in order for students to become more adept readers and writers, they must practice as much as possible.  Building proficiency is hard work, and students must learn the skills they will need to succeed.  As teachers, it is our job to model our knowledge and let our students borrow it in order to become masters themselves. 

            When I look back over this course and consider the most valuable learning experiences I have had, three come to mind: my observations/co-teaching at NPHS, the NELMS Conference, and the cooperative learning activities.  I was incredibly excited and nervous to complete the observations and teach two lessons.  I met with Ms. Cellucci, a phenomenal English teacher over at North Providence High School.  She coached me and helped build my confidence when I was unsure of myself.  I expressed some concerns to her at the beginning of my observations about my anxiety of standing in front of a group of seniors who did not know me.  In all honesty, I was panicking—fear of the unknown and all that.  She sat me down and told me that it was normal to be tense; nonetheless, I should never let that stop me.  After talking to her, I still encountered nervousness, but I knew that with her support and guidance I would be just fine.

            After I had completed the observations, Dominique and I met several times over the course of two weeks to create our lessons.  Before this experience, I did not know how much harder it is to make lessons with another person than it is to do the job alone.  Scheduling conflicts made the process troublesome, but the most time-consuming part of the assignment was making sure that my partner and I were on the exact same page.  We had to be specific when we spoke to each other about our ideas to avoid confusion.  As difficult as it was though, I thoroughly enjoyed the co-teaching experience.  I was able to do something I love with a person whose company I greatly enjoy.

            The second valuable learning experience I encountered came when I attended the NELMS 34th Annual Conference for middle level educators.  Several of my friends from another class were there as well, so we decided to stick together.  We all looked through the brochure and decided which sessions we wanted to attend after the keynote speaker had completed his presentation.  Three of us decided to visit a session titled “Using Writing and Media to Persuade.”  This session sounded the most interesting to me because writing is a love of mine, and I would like to find any way I can to help students feel passionate about writing.  I was not disappointed.  The entire concept of the meeting was to encourage students to write about topics relevant to their strong beliefs and interests.  The speaker used one of her students as an example for those in attendance.  The girl in question was an avid equestrian, and was appalled when she learned of the poor treatment horses receive in circus shows.  She wrote a scathing review that highlighted her staunch beliefs about animal rights, and berated the deplorable way circus animals are treated.  I not only appreciated the student’s viewpoint, but also the way she conveyed her message to readers.  According to the presenter, this student had claimed that she disliked writing assignments in the past; however, when given the opportunity to write on a topic she had strong beliefs about, she completed the task and did a wonderful job.  This goes to prove that if teachers would simply incorporate non-academic literacies into their assignments, students would feel a deeper engagement with their tasks and be more willing to complete the work.

            The last (but certainly not least) valuable learning experience I had during the semester was our cooperative learning day.  Up until that class, I really did not know that there was a difference between cooperative learning and simple group work—in my mind, they were interchangeable.  I have had experience in my past with cooperative learning, but I considered those activities to be excellent group work assignments and nothing more.  When I look back on my academic career, I can see that the most effective experiences I have had while participating in group activities came when teachers fostered cooperative learning environments.  Cooperative learning puts an emphasis on community and structured learning where group work simply thrusts students together in hopes that they will accomplish something.  Once I learned the distinction between the terms, I decided that I would try to use cooperative learning instead of group work as much as possible in my future classroom.  I want to make sure that my students attain as much learning as possible, and group work does not always allow that to happen.

            As far as my final grade goes, I do not really know what I deserve.  I tried to do my very best: I did the reading, I participated in class, and I (mostly) turned my assignments in on their due dates.  On the other hand, this semester my classes have been difficult, and life outside of school has been troubling, to say the least.  That being the case, I know that doing my best was not always enough.  I suppose, if I were to give myself a letter grade, it would be a low “A” or a high “B.”  Maybe I am giving myself too much credit—I do not know.  What I am sure of is that I gave every possible effort to be successful in this class.

            When the class began, I was a bit overwhelmed, to say the least.  I saw all of the rubrics and hand-outs and had a “how in the world am I ever going to get through this” moment.  I was able to calm myself down once I got home because I decided to drink “too” much coffee (as if that is possible) and finish re-reading The Return of the King.  When I was reading, I came across a passage that I had noticed, but never paid attention to before.  During this portion of the book, Sam is engaged in an internal argument.  Defeatist Sam says, “You might just as well lie down now and give it up. You'll never get to the top anyway."  Immediately following those lines, Optimistic Sam says, "I'll get there, if I leave everything but my bones behind (…)."  This may sound a bit silly, but that short passage hit me hard.  I realized that I had been fretting over “so much work” and did not consider that I could handle it.  I was able to comprehend that, although there were many assignments and hurdles ahead of me, my track record so far for living through difficult situations has been 100%... and that is pretty good.

            I know the anecdote located mere centimeters above seems out of place for this assignment—what do Samwise Gamgee, heavy workloads, and survival rates have to do with what I learned in this course?  The answer is: everything.  When I think back about all the useful information I was able to obtain over the course of this class, I am struck by the realization that I had not truly considered the amount of work and effort that goes into teaching until I read Sam’s words.  I know that my chosen career will cause me to lose sleep trying to keep up with all my responsibilities.  I also know that I am capable of doing what I must (strictly within the parameters of the law, of course) to accomplish my goals.  Laying down and giving up are not options.  Teachers are responsible for the education of countless not-yet-fully-grown people—that is not something to be flippant about.  I now understand, at least a little bit, how much labor teaching entails, and I look forward to the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment