Wednesday, April 8, 2015

D&Z Ch. 11


            I think we have all heard the old adage, “do as I say, not as I do.”   Here’s the problem with that: life doesn’t work that way, and neither does teaching.  Typically speaking, this phrase is used as a cop-out for authority figures who want to enforce the rules for others, but have the opportunity to break the rules for themselves.  This sort of elitist attitude does not normally compute with young people, or older people, if I am being totally honest.  In a perfect world, the phrase would be, “do as I say, and I’ll show you how by doing it myself.”  In chapter 11 of Subject Matters, Daniels and Zemelman discuss this concept as it pertains to teaching students how to interact with text.  Here is the point behind their discussion: instead of telling students what to do and expecting them to do it, show them how to do it.  The most effective teachers are those who allow students to borrow their expertise in order to become masters themselves.
 

            Reading comprehension is not an instinctual action; the brain does not see a configuration of letters and automatically understand the words and how they connect to each other.  Just like reading itself, comprehension must be taught.  D&Z suggest that “teachers use ‘think-alouds’ to demonstrate meaningful thinking, giving instruction rather than just instructions.”  This means that teachers should be doing what they ask their students to do, instead of just telling them what to do.  When I think about modeling in this case, baseball comes to mind.  I could have a group of people sitting in a classroom listening to me explain how to catch a grounder.  If I do not show them how it is done, however, they will never truly understand how the process works.  It is the same with teaching students how to be effective readers.  They may have a general understand of what is being asked of them in theory, but without modeling, the chances of them being able to convert theory to practice is slim.  As educators, it is our job to show them how to bridge the gap.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment