Wednesday, April 29, 2015

NELMS Conference Letter


Dear Ms. Rief,

            I would like to begin this correspondence by thanking you for your presentation at the conference.  I appreciated you making the trip all the way to Providence from your home in New Hampshire to speak with those of us in attendance.  When I looked through the available workshops, yours stood out to me immediately.  I wanted to find a session which dealt with literacy and writing, and yours provided both.  I think your idea to combine writing and current media events is wonderful, and the inclusion of political comics and videos was inspired.

            I was once assigned a project somewhat like the one you spoke about.  My teacher did not give me or my peers the opportunity to pick topics relevant to our beliefs and interests, though.  Sadly, I do not feel as if my experience with this type of project was successful, but it sounds as if it was for your students.  Since you gave students the opportunity to choose topics which pertain to their lives and personal cares, you gave them an incentive to do their best because they were personally invested.  I especially appreciated that you included a writing sample from one of your students.  I was surprised and pleased to learn that this project helped the young lady want to write.  Furthermore, I would like it if you could pass on a message to her from me.  “Thank you for sharing your beliefs and research on examples of animal cruelty found in circus companies.  I loved reading your essay, and am happy to have found a kindred spirit on a topic which is so important to me.  Please keep writing and sharing your heart.  Every little bit helps make the world a better place.”

            I would also like to commend you for your inclusion of political cartoons and video.  I enjoyed seeing the graphics and videos your students created to complement their writing.  I would like to implement this idea in my own classroom for writing projects one day.  It allows students with different learning styles to interact with the assignment in a fun, constructive way.  This creative aspect of the assignment allows students to play with various mediums of communication which thoroughly enhances their learning.

            Thank you again for presenting at the conference.  Your contribution is one I will not soon forget.

Sincerely,

Denise Roberts

Teacher Candidate at Rhode Island College

No comments:

Post a Comment